By March 26, 2010 Read More →

Are Preppers Crazy or is it Crazy Not to Prep?

What do your friends and family say when you tell them you’ve been storing food, growing your own produce or that you subscribe to Mother Earth News? When they find out that you’re considering raising chickens in your suburban backyard, do they think you’re crazy? My own friends get this uneasy look in their eyes, and then slowly back away as if they hear the opening notes of “Dueling Banjos”!

The fact is, human beings have been survivalists, or preppers, for nearly our entire existence. Foraging, hunting, and gathering wasn’t just an alternate lifestyle for our ancestors but the only means of survival. Each day, each season, brought the possibility of having no water, no food, no medicinal herbs, and no shelter. Storing as much food as possible, yes, stockpiling!, wasn’t radical, it was sensible. The only alternative to preparedness was death.

Fast forward thousands of years, and self-sufficiency, by and large, is a thing of the past. We have forgotten essential, practical survival skills. Why take the trouble to grow your own food when there’s a grocery store on every corner? The produce department displays not just one variety of apples but a dozen, all shiny clean and not a worm in sight. Discount stores offer shoes and clothing at a price much lower than anything handmade. Most of us revel in the quality and variety of goods that are so easily accessible, but will this era of plenty last indefinitely?

Additionally, many of the skills of our forefathers have been lost. Who among us knows how to make shoes by hand or spin wool into thread? Knowledge, as well, has been lost, often within just one generation. A farmer or an ardent gardener discovers that his or her children just aren’t interested in the details and nuances of growing food. Knowledge accumulated over generations is lost forever when that older generation passes on.

It really is no wonder that preppers seem out of step with most everyone around us. There are obvious, ominous storm clouds on the horizon, and to us, it just makes sense to stock up on groceries, learn long-forgotten skills, and make plans for any number of emergencies.

Friends and family may question our sanity, but our ancestors would be proud of our efforts to prepare for an uncertain future.

34 Comments on "Are Preppers Crazy or is it Crazy Not to Prep?"

1. Chere Amore says:

Prepping looks a bit crazy,…until a need is there.

2. in uk t5heres not many of us doing this my husband thinks ive lost the plot my kids dont really prep but they keep dipin their toes in the water so ill carry on regardless hears hopeing

3. Waiting for my “I told you so…” day!

4. This is not a new concept, but an old one. Before there were modern conveniences, stores open all the time and public services this is what people used to do.

5. I’m 17 and crazy at least until something catastrophic happens to alleviate my boredom

6. Nothing crazy about it.

7. its not crazy!! Its good sense. Came in handy for me this month. no storm, no catastrophic event. Just a child in a major car wreck, life flighted 8 hours drive from me. you never know when you need your preps. being prepared gets you through every little disaster. Its just common senseQ!

8. not crazy to me-It should just be common sense to be as self reliant as possible.

9. Mary Dykes says:

The only crazy thing is that preppers SHOW what they have, thus revealing to others what they have to steal. Other than that, it is not crazy.

10. Robert Nash says:

There is nothing wrong with being proactive. Tell people who criticize you this. If I get hurt or sick and can’t work for a while. My family will have plenty of food. Your preps don’t have to be for a disaster.

11. I have canned for 40 years so what is new about this?

12. I simply tell them, when the time comes don’t come looking for the well trained firearms instructor who tried to get you interested several times and you refused.

13. No it`s NOT crazy to be prepared for what might happen. The people who say it`s crazy are going to be the one that are going to have to be stealing food in order to to get their meals if thing go to heck in a hen basket.

14. Everyone should prepare, not just for some crazy reason. Emergencies of all kinds can happen, loss of a job, earthquake, fire, hurricane, tornado. Mother Nature is the ultimate bitch. You would be glad to have certain things on hand when you cant get to the store. I love to be the person anyone can call and ask to borrow something, and I have it. NOT CRAZY.

15. Bill Slocum says:

They usually say the have watched the TV show, which I haven’t. They’ll eat my excess vegetables though. The very few that I have allowed to see my stores say if anything happens, they’re coming to my place.

16. Bill Slocum says:

17. MotherLodeBeth says:

The millions of LDS/Mormons have been prepared lifestyle mode for decades as are most folks here in our area of the Sierras as well as the island near Seattle where I spend many years as a child.

Thus I tend to think its the odd balls the media focuses on that make prepping seem like some counter culture or even radical leaning bunch of individuals, to be avoided. And all the gun talk and conspiracy theory ones who get a lot of attention doesn’t help.

Where we live you have very well educated folks who are professionals, who don’t need to be lectured on the Constitution. We believe in doing as much for ourselves as possible,while also being altruistic and involved in the community.

Most of us are reduce, reuse,refuse minded when it comes to ‘stuff’, less is more, green living mindset folks. And many many if not the majority live in smaller homes and are debt free.

We don’t go around boasting about what we have stored or how many firearms we own. And most of us are fit and healthy. Its rare even on the Prepper Network shows to hear from the type of prepping people I live amongst.

18. Harry Tatum says:

they make threats about it

19. I noticed not one article talking about how crazy preppers ar from the New York News outlets during and post Hurricane Sandy. “Truth is stranger than fact.” Archie Campbell.

20. Shawn Davis says:

crazy not to prep

21. Mike Yencha says:

16.5 TRILLION in debt! Need I say more?

22. The answer is yes… and no. You can be right, but for the wrong reasons. The slide of Western Civilization is on, has been for the last 30 years… and will continue. “The Fall” will not be sudden or dramatic; in fact, most don’t seem to realize we’re living in the middle of it right now.

23. The answer is yes… and no. You can be right, but for the wrong reasons. The slide of Western Civilization is on, has been for the last 30 years… and will continue. “The Fall” will not be sudden or dramatic; in fact, most don’t seem to realize we’re living in the middle of it right now.

• MotherLodeBeth says:

Patrick you are spot on. It’s a perfect example of the frog in the water. Put the frog in water and then heat the water up slow untill its boiling and the frog is dead is how western civilization has been going the past three decades. By the time folks are in the water boiling it will be to late.

24. Mike Hopkins says:

it’s common sense like saving for a rainy day.

25. I agree. My grandparents lived through the depression and beyond. There was always a store of food and always a garden. I’m just working my way back to the way I was brought up.

26. On the drive to work this morning I heard an ad by ready.gov that makes the idea of not prepping seem terrifying. If government agencies are warning us to be ready, why aren’t more of us ready?

27. On the drive to work this morning I heard an ad by ready.gov that makes the idea of not prepping seem terrifying. If government agencies are warning us to be ready, why aren’t more of us ready?

28. Just got to say, if you prep, then no matter what you always got a good supply of the items. If it comes time that you see you do not need to save the, then use your supply up, and take your money and go on a vacation.

29. That is why NO ONE will know about my stores.

30. Susan says:

I don’t really talk about it, except with my children. We are building the chicken coop (my mother-in-law told my husband, you’re really getting into this farm stuff, aren’t you) and my first garden worked out pretty well for me. I just wish we had taken advantage of this country life that we live earlier. At least, although my children live in the city, they encourage because they know they will benefit from my efforts. A garden is something everyone should try.

• Tina says:

I agree I wish I had done this years earlier but it is never too late. I feel that society has taught us that preparing for disaster and anything else that comes along is dumb or we are looked upon as kooks. It is how our ancestors lived because they did not have big grocery stores and other stores like we do today. I feel that we all need to learn at least the basics and go from there. Good luck to all.

Earlier this month, APN Author Stephanie Dayle got some scary news about her twin babies.  Let's see what we can do to help out.