There is nothing more frightening then preparing your family during a crisis to evacuate and wondering if you picked the right items to pack into the car. Then out of the corner of your eye, you see your cat. How could you have forgotten! Pets ARE family, and the thought of leaving them behind is absurd for many people, but unfortunately some decide to abandon pets because they are unprepared, frightened or hope to come back later to retrieve them. However, there are steps you can take to ensure your cat’s packing is as easy as grab and go.
The easiest place to store your cat’s bug-out bag is inside their carrier. In my cat’s bug-out bag I have the following items:
- MINIMUM 5-day supply of any medications your cat takes (the longer your supply lasts, the better)
- Medical Records (Vet records, microchip papers, list of medications)
- Small first aid kit (you don’t have to buy a special one if you already have one)
- 12 cans/pouches of wet cat food
- 6.8 lbs of dry cat food
- 2 liters of water (more is better, I could have fit another 2 liters in my carrier)
- 2 small bowls (I choose smaller bowls, so if water is spilled, it doesn’t leave a big mess and less is wasted, but make sure it stays filled!)
- Cat brush
- Feliway Spray (Helps prevent symptoms of stress, spray 15 mins prior to loading)
- Shoebox (to use as litter box)
- 3 quart-size zip lock bags of cat litter
- 3 plastic grocery bags (to line shoe box with)
- Bag of scented small garbage bin liners and large gallon zip bag (for cat feces)
- 1 bag of cat treats
It may seem like a lot, but I was able to fit it all inside my cat’s carrier.
Other items to consider:
Anti-Diarrheal Aid for cats
Benadryl – half a pink tablet makes your cat drowsy (at your own risk AND not frequently)
Picture of your cat
Now, if you wanted to skip all the formalities of assembling your own cat-bug out bag, I came across two preassembled options: The MayDay CATastrophy Kit for Cats (about $40) and the Ready America 77100 Cat Evacuation Kit, with pet carrier (about $60). Both can be found on AMAZON.
In the end, your cat bug-out bag should be what you consider to be the MOST important items to take for your pet to ensure their welfare and happiness. A healthy, well-fed and stress-free pet is a happy one!
NEXT WEEK: Dog Bug-out Bags or 72 Hour Kits