A question was recently brought up by azsquirrelcop on the APN Forum about whether or not there should be a state, national, or universal prepper symbol. This would not be a trademarkable logo, but rather a universal public domain symbol that anyone who considers themselves as a Prepper could use.
It’s simply a capital “P” and an exclamation mark: P!
Where To Use It
- Your vehicle (bumper stickers)
- Your business
- Business Cards
Finding like minded preppers
The primary purpose of the symbol is for like minded preppers to be able to recognize each other, particularly “before” SHTF in order to network and communicate with each other. It could also be used to identify preppers after a disaster (extreme caution with OPSEC of course, depending on the scope and type of disaster) It is an identifier much like the Christian fish symbol or the peace sign. It must be something easy to duplicate and be able to be written with anything; pen, pencil, markers, chalk, etc…
Concerns of OPSEC
The concern about OPSEC was brought up several times by several people. Remember, it’s the when, where, why and how you use the symbol that you should have concern about. Of course reasonable OPSEC should always be of concern. So each person should weigh their own personal situation. Do you want to easily recognize fellow preppers and have them recognize you? Or do you want to avoid any attention to yourself under absolutely any circumstances?
Consider the following:
- Once word gets around the prepping community, fellow preppers will be able to easily identify this symbol.
- The average person, who is not a prepper, won’t have a clue what the symbol means, nor will they care.
- During relatively safe times, the risk of someone noticing the symbol and following you all the way home just to jack your stored buckets of rice and beans is not very likely to happen.
- If you write the marker on something that is easily removable, you can remove the symbol in times of elevated OPSEC if needed.
- Sometimes the need to be recognized by fellow preppers outweighs concerns of OPSEC. Evaluate your own personal situation.
The consensus was that there should also be a medial version to denote someone from the medical profession; doctors, nurses, EMT’s etc… The symbol is simply P+ with the plus sign most likely being red. Imagine a disaster where you are injured and you stumble across that. You will know that you have someone on your side who happens to be a medical professional. Just remember they are a prepper too, just because they’re using the Universal Medical Preppers symbol does not necessarily mean that they will accept Universal Medical Coverage, you may have to pay for your doctor bill in Gold or Silver!
The birth of the concept and the discussion.
The APN cannot take credit for this idea, it was many of our ingenious members who collaborated together to come up with these symbols. We hope that you will all support their idea by participating in the vote. These are the main threads that birthed the concept:
Vote on the Universal Prepper Symbols
Here’s your chance to make history. Vote on the Universal Preppers Symbol By Clicking This Link