By December 20, 2012 Read More →

My Take on 12/21/12 and What Preppers Really Are

end-world-survival-guide-staying-alive-during-zombie-apocalypse.w654I have been asked to give a few words on how I feel about *The End of the World.*  This article is solely my opinion and no one else.  I understand people may or may not disagree and that is ok, that’s what makes us human and what makes life interesting.  So here goes…..

I personally feel that it’s all hogwash hyped up by the media to cause panic so they can cater to their agenda.  What that agenda is I have no idea, but it has been my experience that when the media hypes things up so much there is usually a reason behind it that we find out about later. (And usually we don’t like that reason)  It seems to me that this is one way to make people think that we, as preppers, are crazy.  In an interview with the Blaze, Phil Burns, in my honest opinion has represented exactly what preppers are.

What many might not realize is that there are subsets of preppers — subsets Burns said might have some similarities to the prepper movement as a whole but that have different intentions: there are survivalists, doomsday preppers and conspiratorial preppers.

But the majority who consider themselves preppers — if they would even think to give themselves the formal designation — subscribe to a philosophy that is nothing like those of the more extreme variety that have been featured lately on reality TV shows and by those getting ready for the Mayan apocalypse.

“To us in particular, preparedness is about living a self-reliant lifestyle . . . It’s about, in a disaster situation, having a philosophy that is not “sit around and wait for FEMA to show up”.  Preppers come together, help each other out and make sure everyone is provided for.”

It’s this community aspect — taking care of one’s self and family and then the community, in that order — that Burns said sets them apart from survivalists.

“We don’t have an isolation mentality,” he said, unlike the survivalist with whom the majority of preppers are confused.

Believing them all to be cut from the same cloth, Burns said, comes from ignorance. It’s sort of like seeing someone two-step and seeing someone tango.  As Burns put it, they’re both dancing but if you don’t know the nuances of each dance, you might consider them the same thing.

I am a Christian woman and I know at this point many of you will roll your eyes and stop reading the article.  I would like to say this, I am sane! :)  My beliefs are in Jesus Christ and his Father and it is because of these beliefs that I feel 12/21/12 is bologna.  I am not going to try to convert you because your beliefs are yours and I would not want you to try to change my beliefs.  Rather I am going to share a few things I believe about the end of the world.  Below are some of the scriptural signs that we are close to the end, non believers please bare with me, my point is coming soon.

Signs that we are close to the end;

√  It is said that in the last days there will be scoffers, walking for their own lusts. 2 peter 3-4

√  For Nation shall rise against nation, and Kingdom against Kingdom and there shall be famine and pestilences and earthquakes in divers places. Matthew 24:7

√  And ye shall hear of wars, and rumors of wars; see that ye not be troubled; for all these things shall come to pass, but the end is not yet. Matthew 24:6

√  And He looked up and saw the rich man casting his riches to the treasury. Luke 21 1-38 (Have you heard of this one before? Does it sound a lot like the rich paying more taxes than the more? That is my interpretation , but that does not mean that that is what it means)

√  For then there shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor shall there ever be.  Matthew 24:21

√  And there shall be times in the sun, and the moon, and the stars, and upon the earth distress of nations with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring. Luke 21:25

√  Little Children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now, there are many antichrist; whereby we know it is the last time. 1 John 2:18

√  And it shall come to pass afterward, I will pour out my spirit upon the flesh; and your sons and daughters shall prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men shall see visions. Joel 2:28-32

√  But the natural man recieveth not the things of the Spirit of God: For they are foolishness unto Him; neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. Corinthians 2:14

√  For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.  Ephesians 6:12

Those are a few of the signs listed in the bible in regards to what will happen before the *end of the world* takes place.   As you can see by the check marks, they have all happened or are happening as we speak.  HOWEVER, the one thing that gets to me when people speak of these things is that they rarely state that these things have been happening for a very long time.  Not just in the last 10-20 years.

Signs that have not been fulfilled:

• And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captives by all nations; and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the time of the Gentiles be fulfilled. Luke 21:24
  • And he causeth all, great and small, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand or on their forehead.  And that no man might buy or sell, save he that have the mark, or the mark of the beast, or the number of his name. Revelation 13:16-17

This is what the bible says about the end of the world and WHEN it will happen:

• But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angel of heaven, but my Father only.  Matthew 24-36
  • Watch therefore, ye know not what hour your Lord come.  Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour that ye think not, the Son of Man Cometh. Matthew 24: 42-44

So based on these facts, that is why I believe that 12-21-12 will not happen and that no one can tell us exactly when the world will end.  If I am wrong then I will just be dead, but lets hope I am not wrong. :)  In the meantime I have no plans to let the media get me worked up or upset over THEIR beliefs.

Keepin It Spicy,

Jalapeño Gal

Please Visit Jalapeño Gal’s Survival Surplus

Cari is an editor and author for American Preppers Network. Her family currently live in Georgia. Cari spends her free time gardening, canning, testing products for review, helping other prepare and attending church. She believes preparedness is about love and taking care of your family. Click Here! Please Join My New Blog! Check out my Preparedness Store! Keepin It Spicy, Jalapeño Gal!!

34 Comments on "My Take on 12/21/12 and What Preppers Really Are"

1. Cathy says:

I will never understand why some folks are so mean spirited. I enjoyed the article very much. Pray for this lady, she must be very unhappy.

2. The world won’t end tomorrow, but the Mayans were still right…

3. “preparedness is about living a self-reliant lifestyle” exactly

4. Prepping is a smart thing to do, history shows us that it can hit the fan at any time, as far as 12-21-12? Come on man its just another day

5. prepping is preparing for anything and self reliability and sufficiency

6. Gene Becker says:

Mmm everyone says its just another day today. But yesterday they said nothing.

7. I am a prepper for 1. I am a retired USAF Disaster Preparedness Officer, (It is in my blood, I am a professional prepper) 2. In the US there is no government for the first 72 hours following a disaster. (i.e. Katrina, Sandy, Mt St Helens) 3. The CDC says it is a pretty good idea. (Zombie Apocalypse 101) 4. The best reason of all, local emergency managers have repeatedly failed to plan for the families of their 1st responders. 1st Responders will abandon their jobs to insure their families safety.

8. With all due respect, this is an extremely difficult read, and it is embarrassing to those of us who are prepping and CAN write.

• I am sorry you feel that way. I would like to read what you have written. You can email me the link if you would like at jalapenogal77@gmail.com. Perhaps you can submit an article to this website yourself and we can all see how well you write.

I would also be interested to know exactly what makes this so difficult to read and how it is embarrassing. I was asked for an opinion on these so called events, not to present facts, making this more of a blog style write versus a professional article.

Again, I would love to read what you, as a professional, have accomplished.

Thanks JG

• Ron B says:

I am glad that you take APGingrass’s criticism for what it is worth; namely not much. I enjoy your writing on APN, your recipes, etc. I agree with your post, particularly how no man knows the day or the hour, but I do disagree on your interpretation of Luke 21:24 in that the Jewsih nation was led away into captivity, Jerusalem was trodden down and destroyed by the Romans in 70 AD and since 1967 has been in the hands and control of the Nation of Israel, thus ending the “time of the Gentiles” or so it would seem to me. Thereby leaving only your last reference in Revelation to precede the end times. Now, there are numerous other signs of the end of times, numerous Biblical prophecies, but I’ll leave that to the theologians to sort out. As for me, I believe in being spiritually prepared to meet my Maker, as clearly set forth in the Bible, but as is also spoken of in the Bible, to be ever mindful and physically prepared as well. To that end I store food, water, and supplies to maintain the lives of me and my family with some extra to help out my neighbors, in the fashion that Christ would ask me to. Blessings and keep up the good work.

• Shawn Smith says:

@Anne Pelnar Gingrass – Well I guess your comments does show one true and positive thing. ….. We are in the USA where you have the right to slam other people by using freedom of speech. Maybe you should “prove” your ability to write, by giving us some examples or links to your work.  Are you a “prepper” or just another person that like to slam people on the internet – we call them “Trolls” they add worthless drama and stir trouble on the web…. you could be either.  Or you could be just upset that we are not seeing meteors and earthquakes out the window right now….. which I for one am pretty happy about.
      I feel if you have a complainte about someone’s writing why not talk to that person and explain yourself and your opinion…. instead your post was weak, not very informative, and pretty much totally not in the spirit of the season.
      Well anyway – I gave a little detail to my comment, but I would like to say Merry Christmas and God bless.

• I didn’t find it difficult to read at all.

• bittersweet says:

I don’t know what you find so ‘embarassing’..She wrote what she believes..and I agree with most of it..I do believe it is wise for citizens to prepare to care for their families in these times..Our government is not doing it’s job attending to our economic needs and eventually, those who are used to being given handouts, aren’t going to get them..Then..trouble is going to hit the fan..As far as her religious beliefs..good for her for stating them and standing by them..And I agree..we will not know the hour that this world will end..but I suspect, in those times..we will actually find ourselves praying for it to be over..

• I didn’t find it difficult to read at all – well done opinion piece JG!

• RTGold_TX says:

Someone who, by their own account, CAN write would not have written such a vague and snide comment.  Writing is supposed to convey information, your comment did not do so.  What about the original post is difficult to read?  How can it be embarrassing to you, if you did not write it?  What are your qualifications to make such a broad statement concerning all of those others in the prepper movement who ‘CAN write’?  I can write; I can also read and found her article to be as clear as an opinion piece can be.  It was not difficult to read, presented her thoughts in a logical fashion, and did its best to reach as broad an audience as possible without alienating people with open minds.
      Your comment, by comparison, is vague, presented no substantiating information or qualification, alienated several people and exposed your own insecurity and mean spirit.  Are you perhaps an aspiring writer who finds it difficult to secure an outlet for your ramblings?
      Just my $ .02

9. You mean the History Channel was wrong?!?

• Bob says:

I know! Who could have seen THAT coming? Next thing you know, there will be something on the Science Channel that has no basis in science! It’s the end of the world, I tell you!

10. Maybe the Mayans had a new calendar made up for when this one ended…..we just haven’t found it yet. Mom always said it’s bad luck to put up a new calendar before the beginning of the New Year.

11. @ Anne Pelnar Gingrass I am sorry you feel that way. I would like to read what you have written. You can email me the link if you would like at jalapenogal77@gmail.com. Perhaps you can submit an article to this website yourself and we can all see how well you write.

Again, I would love to read what you, as a professional, have accomplished.

Thanks JG

12. my replies to the other comments are at the bottom of the actual article itself

13. Donna Shea says:

Doesn’t matter what the Maya’s predicted, there’s nothing wrong with have extra emergency items stored up. I was in a hurricane yrs ago. We were w/o power for 6 weeks, h20 for 2 weeks. I learned a lot about self-reliance then.

14. just sayin if we got hit with a nuke all the prepping in the world would not help u at least in the long road.Or if a huge comet were to hit us.and further more if all of man and women were to die and it was just me and my fam left what would be the point on living.their would be nothin left.Oh radiation all in the air from the nuke and our reactors.

15. prepping is great against govt and great depression if that were to come again.

16. Nukes are actually not an insurmountable threat unless you’re in the 1 mile blast radius or you don’t know how to shelter yourself from fallout for its 14 day half-life.

17. I thought if a nuke were to nyc the whole NE would be wiped out.beleive me im trying to perp myself and family i do not think you guys are nuts.I live in philadelphia so im trying to protect my fam against everything radical govt and terrorist’s.Times are bad.do u think food insurance is a good thing?

18. Very nicely put. And for us that know the Lord, we have received grace and peace. The media isn’t bothering me, I don’t tune in much. Only when Ii need a laugh.

19. Ben Dover says:

Jalepeno Girl; I liked your post.

It doesn’t really matter when the “end of the world” happens but being prepared (spiritually) is of the utmost importance. I must admit, I have a ways to go to be ready despite being blessed many times, most recently while being racked with unrelenting Diabetric Nerve pain (diabetic neuropathy). My wife and I prayed with all our being to the lord to take that pain away and he did, talk about the light finally coming on. Being prepared physically though may make the difference how we get there.

20. Rob Scholl says:

there’s a new forum started out there where you can share your knowledge/tips/tricks for prepping. it doesnt have to be an end of the world scenario, but what if you lose power, water, etc. you know the scenarios. share your info at http://www.prepperschat.com – hope to see you there

21. Mark says:

The funny thing about this series of things that supposedly foretell the end of days, if you look at that list and then go back in history, you can find many periods where all of the items on this list apply. By this logic, the end of days has been just around the corner for a very long time. I am a prepper. As a kid I was a Boy Scout. As a man I served in the US Army. I believe in being ready – Semper Paratus. There are a multitude of events that could put us all in a situation where we will have to resort to self-reliance. FEMA and the government in general, federal, state, local, whatever, simply does not have the resources to care for the population as a whole if the system should suddenly break. That is my focus. I could care less about conspiracy theories, the Mayan calendar or Planet X. What I care about is being able to feed my family if the power grid should suddenly go down. The government is not the enemy, but neither are they the solution if things suddenly go bad.

22. Charli says:

It doesn’t matter why you’re preparing. It’s more important that you do. I’m what you might call a Hippie Prepper. I believe that the best way to be free is to be able to take care of yourself. I don’t understand why people argue about these things. I don’t care what your ethnic background is, what your political views are or what your religious views are. Wee need to STOP fighting with each other and work together on preparing as many people as we can “JUST IN CASE”. My mother was a war bride who lived through WWII in Germany. She was shocked at how wasteful so many Americans were. I was raised to be frugal. And I hope to share my skills with others. I also hope that more people will become more self reliant. I look forward to an America in which EVERY American can live their life as they wish as long as they don’t infringe on the rights of others. Wouldn’t that be a wonderful place?

Earlier this month, APN Author Stephanie Dayle got some scary news about her twin babies.  Let's see what we can do to help out.