By December 19, 2012 Read More →

NOT the End of the World

No Doomsday at the APN

Sorry, Doomsday has been canceled. The world will not be ending on December 21st

By Tom Martin
Founder/American Preppers Network

Well folks,  you can say you heard it from the APN. December 21st is NOT going to be the end of the world.   Of course I could be wrong, but there is absolutely no sound and verifiable scientific data that supports the supposed hysteria for an end of the world scenario happening on December 21st. I’m sorry to burst your bubble.  We believe the majority of our readers are sensible enough to not believe everything they are told on television and we at the APN plan to continue posting prepping articles well beyond 2012.

In fact, our goal is to prep for an even more sinister disaster that has been plaguing this nation for all too long, a disaster known as Normalcy Bias.  I’ll get to that later.

As I scour the web searching for scientific evidence of a pending Doomsday, the only people whom I see that are actually promoting this apocalyptic hogwash are certain media outlets who have been perpetuating these fabricated Hollywood myths, Mayan prophesies of doomsday, zombies, goblins, and killer planets like Niburu….Well, I guess there may be a few off the wall websites who believe in fairy tales, but certainly no one in the Prepping community that I know of (and I know thousands of preppers).  I don’t want to blanket label all media journalists as being destructive to the prepper movement.  There have been many in the press who have given the movement a fair shake and presented sensible, realistic, fair and balanced stories about preppers and those reporters should be commended for their honesty by not promoting a biased agenda.  We at the APN are usually willing to talk with the media as long as they don’t have any agenda other than reporting the truth.  Unfortunately all it takes is a few bad apples to spoil the whole bunch and that is true of any segment of society.  We know this to be true of almost every group that has ever found its way in the press.  Each has been the brunt of sensationalism and biased spin at one time or another in the media.  Teachers with student/teacher sex scandals, police and police brutality, priests and child molestation cases, the list goes on and on.  The main stream media vs prepper situation is no different.  It is unfortunate that some individuals in the media have sought to use exploitative, capitalistic tactics of tearing others down in order to build themselves up just to gain higher ratings in the name of the almighty dollar.

While some people in the media have been leaving no stone unturned in order to find a few fringe elements to interview in order to spin their stories to the topic of Doomsday apocalypses, The APN has been doing it’s best at presenting the truth about who preppers really are.  We are firefighters, police officers, and first responders.  Doctors, nurses, lawyers, teachers, businessmen, mothers and fathers have all found themselves amongst our ranks.  The prepper movement has been welcoming of liberals, conservatives and libertarians.  Preppers are composed of both gun owners and gun control advocates.  You will find in the movement, survivalist and green energy advocates exchanging ideas for off grid living and fuel saving techniques.  We have Christians, Jews, Atheists and Pagans who preach the universal message of preparedness.

The Prepper movement IS a cross-section of American society with one exception; we are NOT Normalcy Biased.  As a matter of fact, the Prepper movement is what this country needs.  It is the one movement in recent history that is ALL inclusive.  Preppers is the movement that can actually bring America and all of our great citizens united together under one single banner known as preparedness.  The only people who could possibly be against such a movement are those who seek to divide and conquer in order to secure their own greed filled agenda.

How can so many people in the main stream public fall subject to believing in the negative spin?  I think one of the biggest factors is improper use and misunderstanding of the acronym TEOTWAWKI.  All too often when people hear the term they will stop at “The End Of The World…” without completing the phrase, “As We Know IT”.  TEOTAWAKI is a phrase that implies change.  Nothing more, nothing less.  It does not mean the end of the world.  It also does not mean that the change is necessarily a bad change.  For example, if we were to enter a new golden age of enlightenment of peace and prosperity it would literally become “The end of the world AS WE KNEW IT.”

Preppers prep for change.  Good or bad.  It could be a disaster such as the loss of a job, a hurricane, an earthquake or maybe…just maybe…an occasional rouge meteor.  But preppers also prepare for good things such as the birth of a child, getting ready for college, starting a new job or business, or properly planning a budget in order to avoid debt.  As a matter of fact, any act of preparing such as wearing your seat belt, installing smoke alarms in your house, or having a fire safety plan, by definition makes you a prepper.  It is sad that some would vilify such a movement when in fact those people could very well fit the description of a prepper themselves.

Do you meet President Obama’s minimum prepper standards?  Preppers have been preaching this for years.  FEMA’s Ready.gov is actually a good place to start in your quest to get better prepared.  Of course we also want people to know that a 72 hour supply is simply not enough, we know this from Hurricane Katrina and more recently Sandy.  How could preppers who are dishonestly portrayed in the media by some journalists believe that the world is going to end soon when we espouse long-term preparedness strategies?  If I actually thought that the end was near, I would quit my work today and go party.  Here is the reality.   Preppers want our communities involved in disaster preparedness.  Read this from Obama’s Presidential Directive 8:

Experience tells us that when the whole community comes together to tackle a challenge—and everyone plays a role—the end result is more effective.

Recognizing that preparedness is a shared responsibility, Presidential Policy Directive 8 / PPD-8: National Preparedness was signed by the President on March 30, 2011.

At its core, PPD-8 requires the involvement of everyone—not just the government—in a systematic effort to keep the nation safe from harm and resilient when struck by hazards, such as natural disasters, acts of terrorism and pandemics.

This policy directive calls on federal departments and agencies to work with the whole community to develop a national preparedness goal and a series of frameworks and plans related to reaching the goal.

Unfortunately, even with FEMA’s enormous budget, they have been unable to fulfill this directive of getting communities on board to preparedness.  Normalcy Bias in our nation is very strong.  Too many people simply believe that “it can’t happen to them”  But where FEMA has failed, the prepper community is succeeding.  We ARE getting communities prepared one prepper at a time.

Who has time to worry about the End Of The World, when there are so many good things that can still be done to make it better?  Be informed.  Be prepared.

—————————————————-

We have 3 articles that were submitted to us for our “NOT the end of the world contest”

Please go to our Facebook page, check them out and “like” them to vote on them.

50 Comments on "NOT the End of the World"

1. Marcous says:

Sorry, 12-21 Doomsday has been canceled due to lack of funding and misplaced paperwork. this has been a public service announcement for the inhabitants of planet Earth. please tune in to your local news information source for more info. again 12-21 Doomsday has been canceled due to lack of funding and misplaced paperwork.

2. I knew I shouldn’t have worked black friday. now i have to shop? !?

3. Chuck Izzo says:

Tom, Good Article!
    Good to see we’re still going strong!
    BTW: So, glad I decided to opt OUT of doing that ridiculous show……. it is to the Prepper Movement what Jersey Shore is to the state of New Jersey.
    Cheers and Merry Christmas!
    Chuck Izzo
    “Don’t be scared…Be Prepared!”

4. Cindy Anchondo says:

What! The worlds not ending tomorrow! Crap, I better go get my big screen back from my neighbor.

5. Chris Dobson says:

Bills are going to be late….whoops. :(

6. Dammit! What am I supposed to do with all of this stockpiled toilet paper? It was supposed to be the new “gold”.

7. Save it for the Zombie Apocalypse. You can dip them in Kerosene light them and through them at the Zombies. :-D

8. Kyle Sainz says:

Not even the Mayans said it was the end of the world

9. Wait the day is not over yet.

10. Funny how a guy 5000 years ago quit his job of stamping dates on stone, and people think the world is ending :)

11. Why would their words and thoughts have any less validity than those of say Moses or others in the Bible ? To think otherwise would make one guilty of vanity. What will tomorrow bring ? Who knows…yet one thing that I know for sure, it will bring another day in my life. What an adventure !

12. personally its not the end of the world that scares me its the people that believe it and freak out about it,kinda like when that guy pickedd some numberrs from the Bible and said he “figured it out? and all those people startedd selling their houses and maxing out credit cards? THOSE are the people that scare me! not “doomsday”! Personally i think paranoia would be a bigger killer then zombies….

13. wont know till 6:11 eastern time and what if true better have some fun

14. wont know till 6:11 eastern time and what if true better have some fun

15. Todd Rowe says:

If you are wrong, can I have your supplies?

16. Todd Rowe says:

If you are wrong, can I have your supplies?

17. doubt it, but if anything were to be happing, or was going to happen, ie: asteroid for example, do you think anyone would say anything ……no

18. doubt it, but if anything were to be happing, or was going to happen, ie: asteroid for example, do you think anyone would say anything ……no

19. Allan Pooler says:

crap–now I gotta make all my payments, couple days left though–never give up

20. Allan Pooler says:

crap–now I gotta make all my payments, couple days left though–never give up

21. im pretty sure it was on mayan time…and not to mention…the day aint over yet…lol

22. im pretty sure it was on mayan time…and not to mention…the day aint over yet…lol

23. Mark Worrell says:

Damn It! And I bought front row seat tickets! I WANNA REFUND!

24. Mark Worrell says:

Damn It! And I bought front row seat tickets! I WANNA REFUND!

25. Chris Dobson says:

I meant I spent all my money on the whim I wouldn’t have to pay my bills anymore. I was just kidding though, Im so square I would pay my bills even if it was ending. Gotta go with some honor you know.

26. Chris Dobson says:

27. Travis Hamon says:

Could end today could end tomorrow no one knows so its always best to stay prepared

28. Travis Hamon says:

29. Bobby Lloyd says:

well Im setting my alarm clock to get my ass up for work…..if the world ends just means less traffic…I gotta job to do.

30. How could a civilization, predict the end of the world.. But overlook their own extinction? Oops, classic blunder.

31. Jim Mooney says:

That’s a tad mean spirited. There are many good people in California.

32. Jim Mooney says:

I just turned in all my library books, because if the world ends tomorrow I’ll Never get them back and will be a helluva fine.

33. NOOOOOO….wait a minute…YESSSSSSS

34. Ray Gillman says:

probability is certainly in favor of this bet – of course we don’t have to debate this any longer because in 24 hour we will know if anyone pressed the button and launched their nukes or whatever so why discuss it even?

35. Tom Robison says:

Well, darn… we opened all our Christmas presents tonight! Now what are we going to do on Christmas morning? (mutter, mumble, grumble…)

36. I didn’t get and stock all my goodies after all this time just for the world to end lol

37. Chad Jensen says:

California could use a “thinning” of the herd…

38. Ore Brook says:

Hope those pictures don’t publish now (blush)….JK! JK!

39. W.T.F !!!! What with my 1000 kg of rice ,5000 cans of meat,8000 gallons of water ???? I can’t belive :)))))) so when is next time????

40. Darn it, I suppose I should pay my bills now…..

41. James Brown says:

Hey the day’s not over yet.

42. Tom Robison says:

Well, it’s ten minutes to midnight, and we’re still here!

43. Ray Gillman says:

Times like this separate the preppers from the wild-eyed paranoid and just plain weird. If you are relieved (because you were worried), upset (maybe because you over-prepared), disappointed (because you needed some excitement and didn’t get it), or now believe the prepping was not needed, then you probably aren’t a true prepper. For me tomorrow will be the same as yesterday and nothing changed and that is good. Maybe I wont worry about topping off all the gas tanks every time I drive to acknowledge the passing of 12-21-12. yay! I know my solar panels will still be put to good use…

44. Ken says:

One thing that is most important, uniting despite the polarization. We need to all agree that having enough to live on and thrive should be a goal of everyone.

Join one of the fastest growing preparedness communities on the web!