By January 31, 2013 Read More →

How To Make a Brick Rocket Stove for $6.08

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qoyBVKC0nI[/youtube]

Posted in: How To

34 Comments on "How To Make a Brick Rocket Stove for $6.08"

1. Jay Edwards says:

Awesome, I like it. Now is using fire bricks the best or just plain old bricks? Thanks for sharing I can’t wait to try this.

• The idea is to use whatever you have available after a disaster. Fire bricks would be my choice for a permanent oven. I used concrete fore the demonstration oven because they were cheap, available and clean.

• Jay Edwards says:

Good point. I will grab some fire bricks and put then at “locations” but this is still great for just using whatever you can find. Thank you much Leon

2. Gerri McNeer says:

Did this right in the backyard. I did have a bit of a problem keeping it going though.

3. Jesse Banke says:

1 problem…. ashes

4. Darin Jensen says:

I’ve made this. It works. You can also use mud or the ground itself.

5. Thank you for sharing!

6. it you make it just a bit bigger keeping it lit is not a problem at all

7. Don’t use concret bricks they can explode. I went to a brick yard and bought odd bricks (made from clay and baked) I did spend a little more for the bottom I did buy some fire bricks. I got the bricks for 25 cents each and you don’t need a ton of them.

8. Jerry Brock says:

you could also make it taller and have a grate of some sort so the ashes can fall through

9. Kevin Weyer says:

What about cinder blocks?

10. Darla White says:

Leons bricks are on a “higher” platform. Anyone know what kind? My home depot & Lowes did not have the “cheap” bricks. So my bricks were almost 60 cents each. Still thats not a lot of money—-but you go were you can get the bricks—ANY bricks–and these were fired bricks. :-) I love my rocket stove! :-) It does need a (higher platform) though so I don’t have to “kill my back” bending over to feed it and cook on. lol that got OLD real fast. lol Any ideas on ahigher platform or do we just go get a lot of the bigger bricks?

• I built my rocket stove on my Dutch oven cooking table. The purpose of this video was to demonstrate how to make an emergency rocket stove. I’m working on a video of a new and improved version that vents better and is easier to clean the ashes out of. I am always amazed at how popular this post is!

11. Derek Carter says:

That’s the first step when I get around to building my own woodshop (building-code approval not withstanding)

12. Derek Carter says:

13. Making it 2 rows higher (so 24 bricks total) would provide more of the “rocket” effect and it would be easier to keep the fire going. You’d also have less flame wrapping around the pot and just focused heat.

14. Great instructional video, though!

15. Andy Welch says:

Carrie, thanks for the extra info. Does anyone know if this could be used as an alcohol stove? Put a can of sterno in the bottom for your fuel…or maybe just a can with some other kind of alcohol in it?

16. Andy Welch says:

17. i am going to have to try this one, looks something like what my boys( not boys anymore) did when they were in boyscouts

18. i am going to have to try this one, looks something like what my boys( not boys anymore) did when they were in boyscouts

19. Thanks for sharing!

20. Rod Davidson says:

Very informative…will be really handy in an emergency situation. Thanks for sharing!

• That’s the idea of this particular design. It is very plausible, in the aftermath of an earthquake or tornado, that you may need to boil water to purify it. Bricks from chimneys etc are usually easy to find in this scenario, and it is a simple matter to make several of these stoves to get boiling.

21. Wra Askins says:

I’ve seen this before good clip.

22. Wra Askins says:

I’ve seen this before good clip.

23. Wra Askins says:

I’ve seen this before good clip.

Earlier this month, APN Author Stephanie Dayle got some scary news about her twin babies.  Let's see what we can do to help out.