By November 18, 2013 Read More →

Tyler Smith, You Are NOT a Prepper

tyler3a large

National Geographic Channel 2013

Last week on NatGeo’s “Doomsday Preppers” episode titled “We are the Marauders” a gentleman by the name of Tyler Smith was featured. Part of Tyler’s claimed strategy for surviving what he expects to be the upcoming collapse of society is forming a gang of doomsday “marauders.”

While many in the preparedness community are questioning the authenticity of Tyler Smith, some guessing the whole story was made up so they could make the show others are accusing Nat Geo of making the whole thing up with paid actors. However several sources have tentatively confirmed the existence of the ‘due paying’ gang (source).

Tyler Smith’s gang, Spartan Survival, of nearly 80 “paying members” plan to target surviving preppers in order to steal their stocks of food and ammo. Tyler Smith says: “We’re not in it (prepping) to stockpile. We’re in it to take what you have and there’s nothing you can do to stop us,” Tyler Smith says. “We are your worst nightmare, and we are coming.”

tyler1

Tyler Smith
Photograph by National Geographic Channel 2013

To Tyler Smith the American Preppers Network would like to say:

You’re not a prepper, Tyler, you’re a moocher, and if we ever find ourselves in a long-term disaster  your little club of ‘marauders’ will be treated as looters and thieves by your surrounding community carrying out whatever justice against you they see fit. Stop calling yourself a prepper.

What is a Prepper?

In short, a prepper is the opposite of Tyler Smith. A Prepper is a person who takes Personal Responsibility and Self Reliance seriously.  Preparedness is an important part of life for a serious Prepper.  They follow the Five Principles of Preparedness while they Walk the Path of the Prepper.

A Prepper is a person who earnestly believes that no challenge is insurmountable with the proper dedication, determination and focus.  A Prepper looks at things that most people would think impossible to survive and says “All you really need is X, Y and some Z!  Preppers are very family oriented people who believe that it is more important to sacrifice leisure and entertainment today so that in a future potential calamity, they will be able to sustain a certain standard of living.

A Prepper takes steps to mitigate the long lasting effect of a severe impact on their world.  They do this through stocking items that are critical for their continued well-being – called Standard of Living Insurance.  The most notable and important of these items are Food, Water, and Shelter.  An established Prepper will have large amounts of food stored, will have water filters and access to water established and will have taken steps to create or maintain the livability of their shelter, or home. Click here to read more about what a prepper really is.

ng

To National Geographic:

A show called “Doomsday Preppers” – should be about preppers. If you’re going to do a show about something, like “Preppers”, a definition should be made (please see above – or consult with Practical Preppers) so you could then evaluate whether a potential guest meets the qualifications to represent your topic. In this case Tyler Smith does not meet current definitions.

the maraders

The New Faces of Prepper Disdain – Spartan Survival
Photograph by National Geographic Channel 2013

To ANY paying member of ‘Spartan Survival':

You are formally invited to join the American Preppers Network and learn how to prepare for real free of charge. For no cost at all we will gladly teach you how to survive almost any imaginable disaster, and how to protect yourself from groups like the one you are currently a part of. You will instantly have access to a nationwide network of groups and friends happy to give you free information.

Imagine belonging to a respectable nationwide network of people who would fight to protect and help you instead of some random guy’s lame money making scheme, doomed for epic failure. Switch teams, ditch Tyler, and survive.

sheild

To Everyone:

There are Tyler Smiths everywhere. This one may be in Western Washington, but there is probably a Tyler Smith in your town or someone who would become just like him if given half the oppurtunity. Know that right now in good times there are those whose evil is kept under wraps, but during a disaster it will be freed to further exploit others. Keep your eyes wide open and call it what it is.

adfs
Tyler Smith – you sir, are NOT a Prepper. Quit using that word to describe yourself. There is no such thing as a “prepper marauder” that is a term some “mall-ninja” made up which sounds better than moocher, looter, or thief.

sdf

53 Comments on "Tyler Smith, You Are NOT a Prepper"

1. Ron says:

Just another opportunistic moocher. He is collecting suckers to do his dirty work for him while he plays captain of his own little fantasy world. I think he has spent too much time playing World of Warcraft and not enough time in reality.

2. DanteMc says:

I was disgusted at what I saw. It is an unfortunate reality that we have to deal with. The positive note is that we need to remember these people are out there.

Can’t stop him? I think fire and a gun shot to the face would do the trick.

3. Chuck Morrison says:

It may be time to start considering a lawsuit or injunction to stop them from doing this on future shows. I stopped watching it because they are not having what I consider many actual preppers on. I believe this show is making money mocking prepping and what we about. It is interesting that we have no idea who their “experts” are and what their pseudo qualifications are. Being a retired USAF Disaster Preparedness Officer, and as such a professional prepper, I can’t think of what qualifications would make someone an expert in prepping. Unless you consider an “ex” is a has been, and a “spert” is a drip under pressure. Continue with your good work.

4. Marquita Martin says:

He’s not even a moocher, he’s a looter, a thief, and will probably end being a killer. I am horrifed by this!

5. Lauralee Hensley says:

He’s as bad as those flash gangs looting stores clean back east and in some Walmart stores.

6. candace henson says:

I was disappointed that “Preppers” would put this disgusting person on the show. If they continue with this caliber of programing, I will not be watching. Tyler Smith is a thief and rogue. He will not live too long I predict, when he begins to steal.

7. Lance says:

Tyler unfortunately is a fat out of shape version of what we need to be prepared for as much as I am disgusted by everything he is I am glad that nat geo aired it because I think it opened some peoples eyes that think storing food and water is all they need to be prepared I mean there are still good preppers that wont keep fire arms like the old couple in one of the early episodes fire arms are as important as water and if your not willing to fight for your life and your family than you will die and possibly watch the ones you love die violently from people like tyle turd. I don’t know what else to say but thank you tyle turd for making those of us that didn’t already know people (I use that term very loosely) like you actually do exists and you believe me I am more than ready for you you piece of garbage!!!

• Carrie says:

I totally agree with your comments and thought the same thing, even though I was disgusted at seeing this guy, it made me think even more about how to deal with someone like him! You are right, now people can know there truly are ruthless, self centered, lazy jerks out there who sadly con others into doing their dirty grunt work instead of really caring about helping them. He is only out for himself! He’ll get what he deserves in the end, I’m sure of it, because God will see to it!

8. Hutch says:

I watched about 5 minutes of this show and shut it off. Unfortunately the Tylers of the world are out there. They are the reason I am also stockpiling ammo and not just food. They are a product of this entitlement generation that think they should be given whatever they desire and if not, they will take it. The bad thing is when the stuff does go down and people start getting hungry we will see a lot more of the Tylers than we will prepared folks.

9. As bad is was to watch him, now imagine if you’re on Doomsday Preppers with the guy… like as in the other segment… like i was.

what a shame.

• David Best says:

At least your segment was informative and shows how a family can work together to prepare. It was interesting to see how an ex-pat gets along in another country. Your segment was a positive offset to a view of human depravity that was represented by Tyler, and company.

On a side note, is your pickup truck a diesel? I wish we could get more diesel options here in the USA, other than expensive German cars, so I could afford a car that would run on biodiesel.

God Bless,
      David

• evergreen prepper says:

Hi, just so you know, their are a myriad of vehicles here in the us that can run biodiesel! Any older-(pre-2000 model year) VW, Nissan, Datsun, dodge, ford, Toyota, chevy, ect can run bio-diesel just fine. I have 3 diesel rigs that have not burned a drop of straight diesel in over 12 years! My 82 vw rabbit gets an average of 56mpg highway/47mpg city. There are pleny of options out there, you just have to look around, lol.

• Dana says:

I have to say even though you were on the same airing with the selfish man, I enjoyed your portion and learned a great deal. I watched it twice to take some notes on the aqua-ponics and hope to hook up a small one this spring. Thanks for sharing and you have a lovely family. I home-schooled my son from 5 – 12th grade, if you need any pointers/resources, let me know.

I hope that marauder guy watched your segment, he has a lot to learn and not just about prepping.
      Do you think if I read up on it and gave him some of that homemade chloroform, he might let me do a vasectomy? Because that gene pool needs a life guard!
      I later found out that people like the marauder is what they refer to as a “zombie” (when a little knowledge is dangerous).

• Carrie says:

LOL! Great one, give him a dish of his own medicine! Totally agree. If I were his wife, I’d be embarrassed because that is no “real” man she’s married to and I’d be frightened about him doing a C-section and flee from him! Unless I missed something I thought they were nuts even expecting she would have to have that instead of delivering naturally.

• Carrie says:

I liked your segment too and have been learning about Aquaponics but you had a little different take on how to set it up. So it was informative and helpful. It was nice to see an update too since your family moved. BTW, I’m originally a KS girl.

10. I disagree with one point mentioned in the article. In my opinion NatGeo did us A HUGE favor by showing those people. And by “us” I mean the prepper community, but also people “I might want to get prepared one day, but now I just watch Doomsday Preppers for entertainment”.

It’s important to know that looters WILL BE a threat in most SHTF scenarios. And we must do certain things to mitigate this threat. The sooner we realize that, the better. Don’t you agree?

• beans-n-bullets says:

100% correct, I own homes in 3 counties and have worked all over my fine state working in a job that is FILLED with these guys and this show gave my fellow preppies a real good wake up call!!!! these types are VERY much real and you should be prepared for this, even if the show paid the guy to perform like a trained monkey. If you saw me on the street you would not guess what I do for a living, if you saw what I drive you would never guess my net value. You will never see me on a t.v show and maybe 2 people know the extent of my preps and were they all are or my abilities. I go out of my way to make you think I AM FALLING APART :)
      NEVER underestimate your fellow man, Jeffery Dommer looked like the guy next door. STAY ALERT AND LEARN TO KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT

11. Ami says:

I couldn’t even watch this episode. This guys theology for preparing for a disaster made me sick. I agree 100% with Hutch. It’s an entitled attitude that I see more and more these days. It was not attitudes like that, that got our grandparents through the Great Depression.

12. Kris says:

Truth be told I feel kinda sorry for the wanna be bada**. I mean come on, he went on national television and made a laughing stock out of himself, his family and his group of homeboys. That’s just pitiful. I just can’t get rid of the visual of the Pillsbury doughboy “foraging” in 100 lbs. of salvaged junk trying to sneak up on a Special Forces vet. LMFAO

13. Ron says:

This should tell people that these shows are all about money. I don’t even watch this junk. If fatso thinks we are a push-over then come to my neighborhood.

14. Chip Johnson says:

The National Geographic has really shown itself in this episode. I have not subscribed for years, do not even read it at the doctor’s office, and cannot stand what they put on as ‘reality’ on their show.

As an aside, Tyler and his hoodlums need to try their shennanigans in my neck of the woods, his minions would come up far short of their desires, maybe even their lives. (I just finished dressing out a nice big doe for the beginning of the season, and all our guns are loaded, and are kept that way)!

15. shortsue58 says:

He is a zombie, he just doesn’t know he’s already dead – by claiming he and his troop will steal our preps. It’s a shame that he has made a statement on national TV that jeopardizes the health and safety of his family.

16. Big D says:

If you look into it you will find that Smith is a convicted sex offender out of Pierce County, WA.

17. Mark says:

Tacoma is home to Fort Lewis Army post, which is the home of the Rangers, hope he can pick the right houses there. Would totally suck to bump into a combat hardened Ranger in the dark.

18. rooster says:

hey tyler smith
    when the end comes ill be waiting on you and your kind.
    not all preppers will hide. my crew will be here to help protect people that cant protect themselves. i guess you can call us anti-marauders..
    Rooster.
    Southern Sons Of Liberty.

19. Rick says:

I think the term “___ ___” is more appropriate to describe this mall-ninja… not to denigrate any real ninjas out there. This looks like just a self-promoting *&^%$# whom will be the the first casualty of his delusion that life after SHTF is just going to be a turkey-shoot for him and his ill-advised ilk.

20. Real life preppergal says:

As a real prepper, our area and state was appalled when we read these articles….it was all over, and when real preppers started the ball by posting his webpage, and facebook page, they were quickly deleted…as well as the Washington state militia dropping him from their site. He entered a rebuttal about how he is getting his own show from Nat Geo…and laughing all the way to the bank.

Now, as a prepper this upsets me greatly, I for one, won’t be watching this, except maybe to find out where his “compound” and “group” are. Maybe the rest of you guys have something to say about this as well.

21. Backwoodsmomma says:

Although the episode with that disgusting man appaled me, I am glad in a way that it did air. I always felt that, as a Christian, it is our duty to feed the poor and hungry, and I still feel that way. However, when someone like this loser and his ‘friends’ have planed ahead of time to steal, rob, harm, and likely kill, innocent, hardworking people to steal their supplies, he would be the first one in my sights the minute the SHTF. He would steal from our children and let them starve to feed his children? Fair is fair, get the guy before he has the chance to! God knows he is a huge target. Ok, that was mean, but he and his kind should not be allowed to get away with what they are planning. As much time and money as they are spending to be ready to steal from honest folks, they could be putting in a garden, buying a few bags of rice and beans, and doing their best to become responsible human beings instead of the leeches, the scum, the theives and murderers that they are planning to be. Most preppers have plenty of guns and ammo, and these are the type of people they will use it on, the ones who deserve it. How will the “Mrs. Tylers” take care of their kids when their old men are gone? Shot by an honest person just trying to protect their family? He and his friends should be thinking about that instead of thinking of taking someone else’s life away and leaving their family to die.

22. Duane says:

I think you all need to heed what he is saying.
    If SHTF happens,it WILL be survival of the most powerful with no law enforcement to mitigate the results.
    Someone who has already organized to be the GANG-IN-CHARGE already owns you, because you think in terms of what is right, fair, legal, blah-blah-blah.
    GUESS WHAT! THEY DON’T GIVE A POO!
    If you want to survive this environment, you will already have to have your own ORGANIZED group that can “repel boarders”.
    You cannot hang out in a bunker and be safe. They have time.
    You can “smoke out”any body in a bunker.
    They want what you have.
    Ain’t no place else to go to get it. It’s worthwhile taking yours.
    Why would they burn up calories/water to go someplace else. You got it.

23. issinho says:

Hey, guys, a couple of things to think about.

First off, I’m with y’all. I saw the episode and thought, “how in the hell is this even on this show?!?” I was furious with the thought. Personally, sure, it’s all about money and whatnot, but can I tell you something? It has gotten me thinking about starting in this movement. I think there’s real merit to preparing for calamities.

Now, here’s where I’m going to get unpopular REAL quick: I read the article and I had a different viewpoint (seeing as how it’s been a few days since I’ve seen it). While I don’t think it was necessarily a good move for NatGeo, I think there’s something for all of us to take away from it. There ARE people like this out there. We hear a lot about preparing for this or that, but have we really taken any real thought to people who are actually PLANNING on doing this? Have we taken a step into their thought process? That is what I have learned, a little, about from this episode.

Another thing to keep in mind is that these guys got a score from Practical Preppers. They WERE evaluated. Perhaps Practical Preppers should have walked away and said, “I’m not dealing with this crap,” but they didn’t.

Sorry for the book, but those were some points I thought I’d throw out there.

• Ken says:

Here my take I am a Militia Cdr of a Company in Az As a retired Ranger Sniper I have no worries of this tick but be it fake or real there is one point you all must take home. They are out there and they will hunt you ,you better be ready to hunt BACK. I have been all over this land of ours and many many others if you think your going to wait out a crew like this think again. Some of my last duties in Active Service was as a Drill in a Basic Training Unit. Gangs are sending guys in (that as yet did not have a criminal record)to get Specialized Combative Training. Then they get thrown out for whatever reason to go back to their gang and train them. So trust me when I say there are crews out there that are very good at what it takes to TAKE!!! So think smart and train be ready at all things possible that could get in your face and numbers count.

24. Duane says:

I am posting this for the second time.
    The first time I think the moderator erased my post because I used the word for feces. At least I hope that was the problem.
    I am more than a little miffed.
    You all need to listen to what this guy is saying.
    HELLO.
    If things go SHTF mode,you need to understand, that organized gangs, the ones that have the most organization, will own you.
    You are thinking in terms of what is right, just, legal, BLAH,BLAH,BLAH…
    They do not care.
    They are in their own survival mode.
    Law enforcement will not be there.
    You will really need to have your own network of people who are ready to repell boarders.
    You cannot hang out in a bunker. you can smoke out anybody in
    a bunker.
    They have time. Why would you leave when you know there is food and water,and maybe more guns and ammo down there?
    There has to be an air vent into your bunker.
    Listen.
    This guy is a bad person, but at least he has the spherical objects to state it up front.
    There are many more who would come out under the circumstances.

my first post was better written.

25. Linda NM says:

This guy is pure evil, the closest thing to walking human waste as physically possible.

That said … I take this episode of DP as a confession that this fat, scumbag, loser wants to use his weapons for an unlawful purpose. He is not a prepper, he is a thief/criminal who intends to do bodily harm on our very own fellow citizens. He is garbage, utter garbage. I hope the authorities take away his weapons and throw his fat a$$ into a jail cell. (that is if they could find one that large enough to fit him) I think the best way for authorities to stop this guy is too set up bear traps housing twinkees, I’m sure he’s dumb enough to take the bait.

26. RB Texas says:

Yes I watched “that” show too, mostly for the segment in Costa Rica. The worst part of Mr Tyler’s segment was learning that he has spawned off-spring. Seems to me that the appropriate Child Protective Service agency in Washington state should be interested in his off-spring’s welfare. After all it sounds like he admitted to conspiracy to commit an aggravated felony.

However, when the SHTF I wouldn’t recommend bringing your band of merry men down here. We don’t much care for your kind.

27. Norman says:

I watched the show and had to laugh at this idiot. His homemade armor to me is a joke. I would not trust it nor would I want it near me. What will probably happen to him is that others from his group will turn on him when TSHTF. Like others have said his kind is everywhere. I don’t believe for one minute that NatGeo is going to give this idiot his own show. On a better note I did like the portion of the show where the family moved to Costa Rica.

28. Melody says:

I couldn’t agree with you more. That guy was revolting! He feels he’s going to be a ‘marauder’ With that girth I say he’s going to be hard to miss when he comes a marauding at the wrong house! Disgusting!

29. John R says:

I do a lot of home canning. Are they saying they will take my canned food? Are they going to take the jars that I laced also?

30. Al SoFL says:

I laughed out load when I saw him practicing for a Caesarian section on his wife. I don’t think have to worry about him reproducing. He will most likely kill the baby and his wife will die from either blood lose initially or infection later. He is a clown and will die a slow death from blood lose or infection after encountering a prepared prep per with AP round in an AR. His junk yard armor won’t stand up to one AP round. I think he his band of merry chubby men will be a fading memory. Darwin law in action!

31. After the wife and I said “are you kidding me?” about a dozen times during this bozo’s segment, all I can say is ‘bring it’ chubby. A more clear threat, in that he’s stupid enough to go on national TV and make such threats, is that this fool reminds us there will be mobs of clowns like this crew and REAL threats of true mercenaries roaming the land during such times.

32. Casey says:

Parasitic groups will be an inevitable reality in the P.A. just as the theives that plague us now. Groups like these are will intially be successful if you define success as simple survival. But in the longer term a parasitic survial strategy becomes more and more difficult. Fewer hosts on which to feed, hosts with less to take from and more resistant hosts make this strategy a long term loser. Fundamentally a parasite must strike a balance with its host; take too much and they kill the host and die themselves and THIS type of parasite will always kill its host. When the pickings are thin, parasites suffer the most.

33. GhostOwl says:

I’m pretty sure this band of Walking Dead Wannabe’s will quickly self-destruct when things go pear shaped. That kind of arrogance and egotistical behavior will bring the entire thing to the ground. There will only be half of his team left at the end of the first month due to the infighting and back-stabbing.

The rest of his team will be wiped out by their lack of true preparedness when his band of “marauders” meet any real resistance from the people who have worked hard to become self-reliant and take the whole thing seriously. I’m sure I echo the sentiment of every APN member when I say I have prepared myself for this exact possibility and there’s no way you’ll be taking anything from me. You say there’s “nothing I can do about it” – I say we will prove you wrong.

Any “marauders” left after their first attempt to take what does not belong to them will be wiped out by the weather, starvation, and disease shortly there-after.

Hey Tyler, I hope for your sake this was an act or a fake NatGeo show. And NatGeo – thanks for helping to fuel the already poor public perception we have to live with every day.

GO

34. Michael FL says:

I am near retirement and a newbie to Prepping. I am thankful to NatGeo for opening my eyes to the darker side of prepping, showing me what I need to prepare for in addition to simply be self-sufficient in a P.A. world. I will begin to place more emphasis on the “protection” part of prepping now that I have seen the type of scum out there that Mr Smith represents.

35. kerry says:

I wish he would come into my neighborhood. I would take the fatass down. I hope someone takes his fatass out.

36. kerry ga says:

sad to say that in the event of a catastrophe there will be a lot of people out there with the same mentality of this fat slob of a loser. when the going gets rough, and people are desperate, morals and ethics will disappear and you will see more people like him. it will be survival of the fittest, morals be damned, especially if you have a family to feed. theoretically, you would hope that most people would still have their good guy ethics in place, but sadly when people are in a survival mode , the ethics disappear.

37. Dave Perry says:

I’d love to see this guy come along in an emergency.

38. MaveRick says:

This guy should have a prepper score of -100 points. His decision to become a marauder will mean that other preppers now know that they will not be safe until he is dead. A couple gallons of gasoline would be enough to reduce him to a smoldering pile of ash. An IED could turn his legs into a couple bloody stumps. Feces-covered punji stick traps could give him wounds with massive infections. A well trained sniper could wipe out his entire group without them ever seeing him.

In combat, defenders have about a 10 to 1 advantage over marauders. If just a few preppers banded together they could easily wipe out enough marauders to send the rest running away.

No body armor is 100% effective and if a defender just keeps shooting enough bullets will get through to stop anyone.

If his marauding plan doesn’t get the people in his group killed, his medical skills will. This guy is just about the complete guide to everything a prepper SHOULDN’T do!!!

39. Karl A.D. Brown says:

Very, very glad that APN came out against this guy, and others like him. In no way is this person a prepper. Preppers are innovative self reliant people he was the antithesis of that idea. It was shocking to watch that. But in a real TEOTWAWKI situation there would be people like him to watch out for.

To the prepper in Costa Rica sorry that you had to be a part of that–but at least your segment was everything his was not—some very innovative solutions to problems.